Units required: 24 advanced, in addition to prerequisites
- 100- and 200-level Arabic, by course work or by placement
(A student who skips the first four semesters of Arabic courses by placement must successfully complete L75 307D Advanced Arabic I. Students who complete the third level language course with a grade of B- or better will receive 6 units of back credit.)
- L49 ARAB 210F Introduction to Islamic Civilization AND L49 ARAB 208F Introduction to Jewish Civilization: History and Identity
(Students with substantial prior course work may substitute an additional upper-level course with permission of their advisor and the director of undergraduate studies.)
- 12 credits in 300- and 400-level language courses
- 6 credits in 300- and 400-level other JIMES courses, distributed as the student wishes
- At least 3 credits in 300- and 400-level courses in a JIMES culture other than that of the selected language tradition
- 3 credits in a departmental capstone course to be taken during the senior year
(Students may take this course during their junior year with permission of their adviser and the director of undergraduate studies.)
The minor in Arabic requires a minimum of 9 units at the 300-level or above and a minimum of 18 total units. The goal of the minor is language proficiency at the 200 level or above. Students placing into L49 208D Intermediate Arabic II or above must complete 2 consecutive semesters of language instruction at WashU to fulfill the language requirement.
• L49 Arabic 107D Beginning Arabic I & 108D Beginning Arabic II, by course work or by placement
• L49 Arabic 207D Intermediate Arabic I & 208D Intermediate Arabic II, by course work OR
• If placed into L49 Arabic 208D Intermediate Arabic II or above, two consecutive semesters of language instruction at WashU
Required Foundational course:
Choose one of the following:
• L75 JIMES 210C Introduction to Islamic Civilization OR
• L75 JIMES 208F Introduction to Jewish Civilization: History and Identity
• 9 credits in 300- or 400-level in L49 Arabic or L75 JIMES courses distributed as the student wishes
This minor curriculum was first published in the 2021-22 Bulletin. Current students — those who have declared a JIMES minor and those considering it—are permitted to complete the minor requirements reflected in the Bulletin at the time they matriculated, with the understanding that substitutions for certain requirements may be necessary.
Current students may also elect to follow the above requirements with the permission of the Department. Please contact the JIMES office for more information.
• Pass/Fail: No course taken pass/fail can count toward the minor.
• Grades: A grade of B- or higher must be earned in each language course in order to advance to the next level.
• Study Abroad: Students enrolled in preapproved Washington University study abroad programs during the regular academic semester, in summer programs, and in transfer courses can earn a maximum of 3 units subject to review by their adviser and the director of undergraduate study.
• Back Credit: Any earned back credit does not count towards the total number of units for the Language Requirement. All students are required to take at least one year of language instruction at WashU.