The minor in South Asian Studies requires a minimum of 9 units at the 300-level or above and a minimum of 18 total units. The goal of the minor is language proficiency at the 200 level or above in either the Hindi or Urdu language. Students placing into L73 202 Intermediate Hindi II, L73 251 Second Year Urdu II, or above must complete 2 consecutive semesters of language instruction at WashU to fulfill the language requirement.
• Hindi Language: L73 Hindi 111D Beginning Hindi I & 112D Beginning Hindi II, by course work or by placement OR
• Urdu Language: L73 Hindi 150 First Year Urdu I & 151 First Year Urdu II, by course work or by placement
Language Requirement: Students should choose one primary language for the minor to fulfill the language requirement.
• L73 Hindi 201 Intermediate Hindi I & 202 Intermediate Hindi II, by course work OR
• L73 Hindi 219 Hindi for Heritage Speakers and one additional semester of Hindi language instruction OR
• If placed into L73 Hindi 202 Intermediate Hindi II or above, two consecutive semesters of language instruction at WashU
• L73 Hindi 250 Second Year Urdu I & L73 Hindi 251 Second Year Urdu II, by course work OR
• If placed into L73 Hindi 251 Second Year Urdu II or above, two consecutive semesters of language instruction at WashU
Required Foundational course:
Choose one of the following:
• L75 JIMES 210C Introduction to Islamic Civilization OR
• L73 HINDI 3171 Religion and Culture in South and Southeast Asia
• 9 credits in 300- or 400-level in L73 Hindi or L75 JIMES courses distributed as the student wishes
This minor curriculum was first published in the 2021-22 Bulletin. Current students — those who have declared a JIMES minor and those considering it—are permitted to complete the minor requirements reflected in the Bulletin at the time they matriculated, with the understanding that substitutions for certain requirements may be necessary.
Current students may also elect to follow the above requirements with the permission of the Department. Please contact the JIMES office for more information.
• Pass/Fail: No course taken pass/fail can count toward the minor.
• Grades: A grade of B- or higher must be earned in each language course in order to advance to the next level.
• Study Abroad: Students enrolled in preapproved Washington University study abroad programs during the regular academic semester, in summer programs, and in transfer courses can earn a maximum of 3 units subject to review by their adviser and the director of undergraduate study.
• Back Credit: Any earned back credit does not count towards the total number of units for the Language Requirement. All students are required to take at least one year of language instruction at WashU.